Jackson Pollock by Miltos Manetas

Monday, August 8, 2011

Good things come to those who are kind.

I have been working as a desk assistant for a year and a half. Over that amount of time I have realized that there are some interesting characters out there. Most of them assume that I have no clue what I'm doing, and others assume I can deliver the world to them. Neither of these assumptions are true, they are simply assumptions.

As for those who assume I don't know what the hell I'm doing, perhaps they should save themselves the phone call if they already have all the answers. By doing this, I could potentially save on Tylenol purchases. As for those who assume I can deliver chocolate-dipped Oreos (which sounds amazing now) on white unicorns with rainbow horns while playing the tuba, perhaps they should instead use their time exploring possible hobbies. There's no way I can play the tuba.

It's not all bad. I do sometimes have the sweet little old ladies who are grateful for every click I make. And on special occasions I'm able to get a laugh from questions such as, "Is this the library?" (When I answer the phone clearly stating that I'm Campus Information).

In a nutshell: If you are kind on the phone, you will see great results and your problem will be solved faster. This method was also used when I worked in a customer service center for sporting goods. If people were kind and understanding of the fact that the warehouse was located in Tennessee, while I was located in Wisconsin, then they had a pleasant experience on the phone with me. However, if they instantly get pissed that I can't walk to Tennessee into the warehouse and grab their order, then I'm going to be a smartass.

There are exceptions to every rule. If you are being kind and patient and all that good jazz, and the customer service/desk assistant is truly being ridonk, then by all means, get pissed. In the meantime, sit back and relax. Your problem will be solved, and you will survive without knowing the chancellor's personal cell phone number. You will also survive if you have to wait an extra day for your Adrian Peterson jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment