Jackson Pollock by Miltos Manetas

Monday, November 21, 2011

Y is for

Youth.  What memories do you have from your childhood?

Where do I even start? I'm convinced I had the best childhood ever.

My fondest memories come from halfway growing up on my grandparent's farm, which my dad and uncle farmed for many years.  There were, of course, barn cats running rampant and reproducing at a rate that would put most rabbits to shame.  Whenever new kittens were born, my brother, cousin and I would "claim" certain kittens to be ours and we got to name them.  Some were brain dead, some had crusty eyes...I wasn't discriminatory.  If there was a kitten to be seen, you can be sure I was dragging it around the farm much like the child is in the photo below...


Fishing with Dad.  Ohhhh boy did I fish with Dad.  I think he had me in a boat as soon as I was able to walk.

Being excited for school.  Sure grew out of that in a hurry...probably because I'm not required to purchase a ruler, 24 count Crayola crayons, two notebooks, two folders, 1 bottle of Elmer's glue, one glue stick (never understood why.  Wasn't one form of glue good enough??), markers, crayon box, and a box of Kleenex to share (I think that's why I hate sharing).

Let's see, what else...Pretty much anything involving Kayla.  I remember she had a doll that I always wanted to play with, but she was a little b**ch and made me play with the stupid one.  

Playing Super Nintendo with Kyle until our eyes bled is another fond memory.  Ka-Blooey, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario...so...many...hours. 

Whenever there was a family dinner, everyone would rush to pile up their plates before Gramps got to the food.  Good god that man could eat.  

Playing in the sandbox and riding my bike all over hell.  Do kids even do that anymore? Probably not.  Sand is probably "too dirty" and "dangerous" and bikes are never seen without training wheels and a helmet.  Things were so much easier in the 90's.

Snooping for Christmas presents...finding out what we got...getting yelled at for snooping.  

Hiding in the clothing racks with Kayla when our moms would take us shopping with them.  They only freaked out every time we did it.

Getting doll cakes for my birthday until I was about...10? That was always the best. They were similar to the one pictured below...

There are so many more memories from my childhood but I'll try to save your retinas.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment